Friday, July 8, 2016

Riding from Tokyo to Kyoto Days 1 - 3

My 9-year-old daughter Saya and I are cycling from Tokyo to Kyoto and back. We're 3 days into the trip, and I'm relishing this chance to spend time with my daughter. She's goofy, mischievous, adventurous and a whole lot of fun to be around. She told me that I'm "stinky, sweaty, and snuggly. But mostly stinky and sweaty." 

The first day's climb over the mountains was brutal. My lower back is still reminding me of the effort and that I'm not that young any more... 

We're riding along the coast toward Kyoto and plan to stay in Kakegawa tonight. We'll ride back to Tokyo on the same or similar route. 


Here are some pics from our ride so far:

My brother-in-law Aki, who cycled with us on the first day, leading us out of Tokyo

Saya and I ready to go at the start of the ride

Mt. Fuji

Our campsite on the first night

Feeling humble in the presence of the majestic Mt. Fuji

Saya has been fascinated by the various insects we've encountered. She took this photo.

Another photo by Saya. These are flowers near the ocean.

Saya ready to join the Shrimp festival

Saya striking a pose

Saya and the ocean

We met Paul and Marina, cyclists from Moscow on their way from Kyoto to Tokyo

No comments:

Post a Comment